CALL FOR PAPERS: THE 2014 SOTERO H. LAUREL INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SOCIAL SCIENCES
“PARADOX OF INTEGRATION OF ASEAN 2015:
TRENDS AND THREATS TOWARDS ATTAINING
EXCELLENCE AND SUSTAINABILITY”
DECEMBER 11th-13th, 2014
LYCEUM OF THE PHILIPPINES UNIVERSITY-BATANGAS
BATANGAS CITY, PHILIPPINES
“One Vision, One Identity, One Community” – an integration to build a strong and sustainable community has been the perennial advocacy and the thematic principle of every ASEAN member since its inception on 2009 based on the implementation of policy measures agreed upon in AEC in 2007, and to which every effort of each member is assessed by the year 2015.
Integration towards community-building is a process and a system which contains products and by-products, outcomes and feedbacks, positive and negative effects – that is, in every process of integration includes construction, deconstruction, and reconstruction of vital components so as to fit into ‘one-unified-integral system’. In analysis, this process seems to create a system of paradoxes: losing ‘one’s visions’ for having ‘one vision’, losing ‘one’s identity’ for assuming ‘one identity’, and reconstituting ‘one’s communities’ for adopting ‘one community’. In the past five years of this process and systematization, it is imperative to revisit the sustainability of the ASEAN 2015 efforts toward this venture for community-oriented economic excellence.
Considering this frame of thinking, building a community through integration entails integrity and moral perfection as its primordial principles. As one Filipino political philosopher, Jose P. Laurel (1891-1959), remarks: “…in my readings on the histories of states and constitutions, and political and economic system, I have been struck again and again by the politico-socio-moral principle…that the integrity and conscious aspiration of moral perfection of the individual is also the only sure foundation of the integrity and moral strength of states and nations; and that the integrity and moral strength of any community is a sine qua non to the stability, progress, happiness and security of that community, be that community as tiny as a rural neighborhood, or as vast as the one-time empire of Genghis Khan” (On Polity, Economy, and Education, 1997, p. 214-215).
With this challenge, we invite researchers, professors, public servants, students, and individuals from business sectors for a dynamic intellectual discussion through paper presentations dealing with the issues surrounding the ASEAN Community 2015.
This conference will work on a multidisciplinary framework across various fields; however, paper presentations will focus, but not limited, on the eight clusters of studies such as follows:
a) Development and Economic Studies
b) Diversity and Cultural Studies
c) Governance and Political Studies
d) Security and International Relations Studies
e) Technology and Educational Studies
f) Tourism and Ecological Studies
g) Population and Sociological Studies
h) Values and Moral Studies
SOME IMPORTANT DATES AND INFORMATION:
Regarding Paper Submission and Attendance:
Submission of Abstract: deadline on October 30, 2014
- 250-300 words
- Only abstract/research written in English & Filipino is allowed
- Include brief and comprehensive professional vitae
- Please send to (email) email@example.com
Notification of Acceptance: on or before: November 5, 2014
Submission of Full Paper: on or before: November 15, 2014
Confirmation of Participation/Attendance: on or before: November 25, 2014
Regarding Payment Settlement:
Payment for Early Registration (local and international presenters/participants):
- Closing Date: December 1, 2014
- Amount: Php. 4,000.00 for Filipino participants and $100.00 for foreign participants(for professionals/presenters/including student-presenter: inclusive of conference kit, registration fee, and meals)
- Amount: Php. 2,500.00 (for student-participants: inclusive of conference kit, registration fee, and means)
- Bank Acct. Name: Lyceum of the Philippines University Batangas, Inc.
- Bank Account Number: 0871-0101-37
BPI P. Burgos, Batangas City Branch
- Please scan your bank transaction receipt, and send to (email) for validation
Payment for On-site registration (local and international presenters/participants):
- Amount: Php. 4,500.00 for Filipino participants and $150.00 for foreign participants (for professionals/presenters, inclusive of conference kit, registration fee, and meals)
- Amount: Php. 3,000.00 (for students but not presenter, inclusive of conference kit, registration fee, and means)
We highly encourage proposals that are clear, relevant, original, significant, and engaging.
- Clarity: the structure of contents, arguments, and results of the paper are straightforward and comprehensible.
- Relevance: the paper discusses one or more issues related to clusters of studies and/or to the theme of the conference.
- Originality: the paper investigates/explores/approaches the issues related to the theme in an innovative, constructive (or deconstructive, or reconstructive) manner.
- Significance: the paper raises/discusses questions, issues, or problems which lead to improvement related to the topics under the clusters of studies, or to the theme of the conference.
- Engaging: the paper awakens interest, curiosity, and dialogues among the audiences and the presenter.
JOURNAL PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITY:
Paper submitted for publication will follow separate review process, which to be published in Asia Pacific Journal of Multi-disciplinary Research and Asia Pacific Journal of Education & Arts. This may include separate payment (if applicable), and will be reviewed by external/foreign reviewers and editors as well as by the organizing committee for publication. Date of submission and notification of acceptance for publication will be announced later.
SOME USEFUL LINKS FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
For more information, please contact:
Ma. Rosario Tamayo, DPA
Chair, Department of Social Sciences and Public Administration
Lyceum of the Philippines University-Batangas
Rodrigo Abenes, PhD
Assoc. Professor, Department of Social Sciences
Lyceum of the Philippines University-Batangas
Ms. Miriam Grace Aquino-Malabanan